Wednesday 22 June 2011

Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life (2010)



Because I am still living in Paris in my head I have continued to keep up the Parisian theme. Last week I watched Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life, it was a good film, not amazing but a must see if you are a Gainsbourg fan. I particularly enjoyed the opening sequence cartoon, as well as the 'monster' that follows him about during the film,  the way the monster moved reminded me of Doug Jones, who plays the faun in Pans Labyrinth; very creepy but elegant. 


The monster figure
The film starts off with Serge's childhood in Paris, as the Nazi occupation starts to become apparent in Paris. It then jumps to Serge as struggling artist, and then follows on to his singing career. Including his brief affair with Bridgette Bardot and his relationship with Jane Birkin, and his eventual decline in popularity. Since watching the film I have been listening to Gainsbourg none stop (I was not a fan before). 


I cannot stop listening to Bonnie and Clyde, thought this making of video was intriguing. Are any of you Gainsbourg fans?







9 comments:

  1. We went to see this at the cinema and really enjoyed it. I loved the monster too. So sad about the death of Lucy Gordon so soon after it's realise, I thought she was so wonderful in it, such a shame. :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know seems like such a waste of talent, she would of been more successful after this I am sure. But yes the film was rather good! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like Gainsbourg's '60s tunes, which straddled a line between Decca-style R&B and Burt Bacharach's lounge music sound. If Dionne Warwick had sung "Comment te dire adieu" with Gainsbourg's arrangement, I would have assumed it was Bacharach's composition, and if the Shirelles had sung "Laisse tomber les filles," I might have mistaken it for a Carole King melody. Gainsbourg's work has proven to be quite versatile; his jazzy "Les oubliettes" was sampled soulfully in De La Soul's "Talkin' 'Bout Hey Love," sounding organic in both songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have only just started listening to his music and so far I do prefer his earlier work, but is quite impressive how many decades he spanned and changed and adapted along with the music that was popular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really know much of Serge Gainsbourg's music except for the obvious few songs but was encouraged along to see this at the cinema. I really enjoyed it! Wasn't at all what I was expecting - I was thinking arty black and white and smoky - but it was so different to that. I found it really funny in parts, and all just really engaging. Unexpected thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Marie: Yeah I was expecting something very 'cool' and was pleasantly surprised, like I said it was the puppet and cartoons that did it for me, love quirky things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my companyvisit this website see herereview my companyofficial statement

    ReplyDelete